Call for Local Artists
The Castro Merchants (CM) is partnering with neighborhood businesses to create unique displays honoring Harvey Milk's birthday from May 18th through May 31st, 2017. castro merchants wants to showcase neighborhood talent, so we are reaching out to local artists to submit designs that will be installed and displayed in castro storefronts. Think "Celebration" and be exuberant! installations should fill the window, either in 2D or 3D, and should read well from the curb. Be creative and let your imagination go wild–we will pair artwork submissions with storefronts in which they will work best! Submission is free! See below for entry details and instructions.
If you have any questions about the Windows for Harvey 2017 initiative, please email email@example.com.
Entry requirements and instructions
- The finished installation should be a celebration of Harvey Milk. Theme should be centered around the life and/or times of Harvey Milk: Harvey's accomplishments, his legacy, or other contributions suiting the artist. Please avoid overtly political speech that might invite controversy and distract at all from the opportunity to celebrate Harvey Milk.
- Art must be installed starting May 15th and must be completed by Thursday, May 18th in time for Harvey Milk's birthday festivities that begin on Saturday, May 20th. (Harvey's actual birthday is Monday, May 22nd.) Coordination on installation will be negotiated between the artist and shop owner. If you cannot commit to installation on this schedule, please do not submit an entry.
- 2D or 3D art allowed. However, 2D will be easier for some store fronts. If you'd like to submit a call for each, please do so.
- Deadline for submission is February 28th at midnight PST.
- Art installation runtime will depend on the shop owner, but CM will be encouraging all owners to keep the artwork up for the duration of the initiative, May 18th-31st.
- We are planning to market the event, as well as the participating artists, in print and/or online.
- Stay tuned for details about a potential opportunity to offer your event artwork, and other artwork, for sale.
- CM will take all entries to merchant members in March. Notifications will be sent to artists for the business(es) that would like to work with them. Artist has right to refuse to work with any particular storefront.
- Input all information into the form below.
- Right click on the image above to save locally. Input your design into the image. Note that this is a sample storefront and the actual storefront you are working in may be different than what is shown. Once you have been partnered with a neighborhood business, you will create an installation for that specific storefront.
- Save your file with your last name, your zip code, and whether your display will be 2D or 3D. Failure to adhere to this naming convention could disqualify your entry. Example: Moscone-94114-2D.png
- Click here and upload your image. File size should be less than 3MB. Larger files will be disqualified.
- That's it! We will notify you of your inclusion in this initiative via email no later than March 31st.
- Celebrate Harvey Milk! Let your imagination run wild!
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: By submitting your entry to this promotion, you agree to your name being listed in promotional materials, both in print and online, as well as agreeing to have photographs (with credit) of your work used for event promotion for this and future events associated with this annual event.
How are the artists getting compensated for the work?
The artist will provide their own supplies and materials. Castro Merchants will promote the event through public outreach, including an event microsite to raise the profile of the event as well as the participating artists. The microsite will include (with the artist's permission) the artist's name and contact information, including a link to the artist's webpage. We will provide the high-profile placement and then through promotion of the participants, drive traffic to you and/or your website. Then you take it from there. We are also looking at a way to offer for sale (again, with the artist's permission) the artwork on display in each window with the majority of proceeds going directly to the artist. The microsite and sales opportunity will be announced by March 15th.
What is the size of the window I will be working with?
The sizes of the window in which the artwork will be installed is dependent on which merchant you are working with. Once you have been partnered with a participating merchant, you can work directly with them on where to install your artwork.
Is the artwork considered a donation?
No, all artwork created will remain the property of the artists until sold as noted above.
See below for examples of last year's storefronts honoring Harvey on May 22, 2016.